Home of the Benton Rangers!
The earliest Benton Football teams played on a game field that was situated on what is now the east end of the current practice field, along McCleansboro Street. At that time, the field ran along side the old Benton Township High School. In 1922, an addition was added to the school building on the east side and the football field was moved to it's current location. For over 90 years, Ranger football has called Tabor Field home...although it didn't always have the former coach's name attached to it. Hubert Tabor coached the Benton Ranger football team from 1922 to 1934. Over his 13 year coaching span at Benton High School, he amassed a record of 83-25-4 for a .759 winning percentage...still the highest winning percentage of any Benton High School football coach in history (those who coached more than 2 seasons.) After Coach Tabor moved on from Benton High School, the field was named in his honor.
Tabor Field & the Benton High School Football Stadium
The Construction of the Stadium
During the 1956-1957 school year, the decision was made to construct a stadium with seating for the home fans at Benton High School. Construction began that spring and was completed before the start of the 1957 football season. During the early years of the stadium's existance, it contained restrooms and large storage rooms for equipment and supplies. In addition, it housed the school woodshop in the east end and the band room in the west end for several years. Later, in the early 1980's, the bulk of the interior was converted to locker rooms with showers. Today, the stadium holds a freshman/visiting team locker room, the Ranger varsity locker room, a coaches' office, fan restrooms and equipment storage.
Ranger Football action circa 1937--a good view of the visiting stands along Lawrence Street.
Coach Hubert Tabor
Head Coach 1922-1934
Fans on the Ranger home sidelines circa 1935-prior to the construction of the stadium
Benton Township High School Campus-circa 1958